Friday, December 22, 2023

Ember Saturday in Advent: why the Lord's face is compared to the sun: Mechthild of Hackeborn





During the Mass Veni et ostende (come and show) as she prayed for all who long with their whole heart for the face of God, she saw the Lord standing in the midst of the choir. His face radiant as a thousand suns, illumed each person  with a ray of sunlight. When she asked why his face had the form of the Sun, he answered "Because the Sun has three properties that can be compared to me: it warms, it fructifies, and it illumines. The Sun warms; so those who approach me are warmed by love, and their hearts melt at my presence like wax in the fire. The sun makes every fruitful; so my presence makes a soul virtuous and fruitful in good works. The sun also illumines; so I illumine everyone who comes to me with the light of divine knowledge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment