Friday, March 15, 2024

TO HIS CARTHUSIAN SONS A Letter of Saint Bruno to the monks of the Grande Chartreuse




TO HIS CARTHUSIAN SONS A Letter of Saint Bruno to the monks of the Grande Chartreuse, France, written from the Hermitage Of The Tower in Calabria, Italy at about 1099 

To MY BROTHERS whom I love in Christ above everything else, greetings from your brother, Bruno. Now that I have heard from our dear brother Landuin a detailed and moving account of how firm you are in your resolve to follow a path of life so commendable and in accord with right reason, and have learned of your ardent love and unflagging zeal for all that pertains to moral rectitude and the fullness of Christian maturity, my spirit rejoices in the Lord. I truly exult, and am swept away by my impulse to praise and thanksgiving; yet, at the same time, I bitterly lament. I rejoice, as is only right, over the ripening fruit of your virtues; but I blush, and bemoan my own condition, since I wallow so listless and inactive in the filth of my sins. “REJOICE, THEREFORE, MY BELOVED BROTHERS, THAT YOU HAVE REACHED A QUIET ANCHORAGE IN THE SECURITY OF A HIDDEN HARBOR.” 13 Rejoice, therefore, my beloved brothers, over the lot of overflowing happiness that has fallen to you, and for the grace of God that you have received in such abundance. Rejoice that you have succeeded in escaping the countless dangers and shipwrecks of this storm-tossed world, and have reached a quiet anchorage in the security of a hidden harbor. Many would like to join you, and many there are also who make a considerable effort to do so, but fail in their attempt. What is more, many are shut out even after having attained it, since it was not in the plan of God to give them this grace. Therefore, my brothers, count it a certitude, proven time and time again: whoever has once experienced such an enviable good, and subsequently lost it for whatever reasons, will grieve over his loss to the end of his days, if he has any regard or concern for the salvation of his soul. 

“…LAY MONKS, BROTHERS SO CLOSE TO MY HEART… YOU ARE CAREFUL AND ZEALOUS TO OBSERVE A GENUINE OBEDIENCE, …THE ORIGINAL KEY TO THE SPIRITUAL LIFE AND ITS FINAL STAMP OF AUTHENTICITY, DEMANDING AS IT DOES DEEP HUMILITY AND OUTSTANDING PATIENCE, AS WELL AS SINCERE LOVE FOR THE LORD AND OUR BROTHERS…” 

As regards you lay monks, brothers so close to my heart, I have only this to say: My soul glorifies the Lord, since I can perceive the glories of His mercy toward you from the account of your beloved father and Prior, who boasts a great deal about you and rejoices over you. I share in this joy, since God in His power never ceases to inscribe on your hearts, however little education you may have, not only love, but understanding, of His holy law. For you show by your lives what it is you really love, and what you know. 

That is to say, 14 when you are careful and zealous to observe a genuine obedience, conceived not only as the carrying out of God’s commands, but as the original key to the spiritual life and its final stamp of authenticity, demanding as it does deep humility and outstanding patience, as well as sincere love for the Lord and our brothers, then it is clear that you are gathering with relish no less than the most delectable and lifegiving fruits of Holy Scripture. So, my brothers, abide in that which you have attained, and avoid like the plague that baneful crowd of would-be monks who in reality are as empty as can be, peddling their writings, and speaking in hushed tones about things they neither cherish nor understand, but rather contradict by their words and actions. They are lazy, and wander from place to place, slandering all those who are conscientious and dedicated, and imagining themselves worthy of praise if they blacken the name of those who really are. To them, anything resembling discipline or obedience is loathsome. As for our brother Landuin, I had intended to keep him here on account of his rather serious and recurrent illnesses; but he would have none of it, claiming that there could be nothing worthwhile for him, no health or joy nor zest for life, apart from you. With repeated signs, and a veritable gushing fountain of tears for you, he laid before me how much you mean to him, and the unadulterated affection he bears for you in the Lord. As a result, I have not wanted to force the issue, lest I cause grief either to him or to you, who are so dear to me for your maturity and excellence of spirit. Wherefore, my brothers, I am very serious in my request, at once humble and insistent, that you manifest by your deeds the love you bear in your heart for your Prior and beloved father by kindly and attentively providing him with everything he needs for the various requirements of his health. He may be unwilling to go along with what your loving solicitude may dictate, preferring to jeopardize his life and health rather than be found lacking in some point of external observance. After all, this is normally inadmissible, and he might blush to hold the first rank among you, and yet trail in these matters, fearing that some of you might become negligent or lukewarm on his account. Yet, I hardly think there is any danger of that; so, I hereby grant you the necessary authority to take my place in this particular, and respectfully compel him to accept whatever you accord him for his health. 

15 As for me, brothers, I would have you know that the only desire I have after God, is to come and see you. As soon as I can, God willing, I will do just that. Farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment