Friday, May 31, 2019

Homily of St. Bernard: THE FEAST OF THE VISITATION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY: Magnanimity and humility unite in Mary and in the saints



Elizabeth marveled that so great a person should come to see her and she asked: How have I deserved to be thus visited by the mother of my Lord? She went on to commend Mary for her words of greeting. As soon as ever the voice of thy greeting sounded in my ears, she said, the child in my womb leaped for joy.  And in praise of her faith she said: Blessed art thou for thy believing. High praise indeed was this. But Mary's utter humility would not allow her to keep anything for herself; it only made her the more eager to refer all the credit to God, for it was his blessings that were being praised in her.

"You magnify me", she might have said, "because I am the Lord's mother; but my soul magnifies the Lords himself. You say that your child leaped for joy when he heard my voice; but my spirit has found joy in God, who is my Savior, and your son too rejoices at hearing the bridegroom's voice, for he is the bridegroom's friend You call me blessed because I have believed; but the reason why I believed and am blessed is that the merciful God looked down upon me from on high. If all generations are to count me blessed, it is because God has looked graciously upon his poor and lowly handmaid."

We must not therefore think, brethren, must we, that holy Elizabeth was mistaken when she said what the Spirit had told her to say? Of course, we must not. Obviously, Mary was blessed both because God had looked graciously upon her and because of her believing. That God looked graciously upon her had its effect, and a great effect it was. The Holy Spirit came upon her and by means beyond all telling contrived that her great humility should meet in the depths of her virginal heart with equally great magnanimity. Each gained luster from the mutual contact; neither was diminished by the other. Although she was so humble in estimating her own worth, she was magnanimous in believing the promise made to her. Thinking herself to be but a poor little servant, she yet never doubted that she had been chosen to accomplish an inscrutable mystery; she believed that in very truth she would soon be the mother of the God-man.

It is the prerogative of divine grace so to work in the hearts of the elect that humility does not make them pusillanimous or magnanimity arrogant. The two virtues collaborate. Thus, magnanimity cannot serve as a cloak for pride; in fact, it greatly increases humility and makes men fear God and be grateful to the Giver of their gifts. In the same way, humility affords no entry to pusillanimity. The less a man relies on his own powers, even in the smallest things, the more does he lean on God's strength whenever he has some great enterprise in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment