Thursday, February 23, 2023

Thomas Merton on the Psalms

 



One obvious possibility for Lent is to re-connect with an old friend, especially if it is someone, who let you down in some way, betrayed mutual principles held in common or turned out to be someone who was not what you thought he was. I had no contact with Thomas Merton and he did not know me from Adam, but like many of my generation, I had a Merton phase, in my case a rather long enthusiasm before a long disillusionment.

I felt the need to apologize to an old friend right before Lent and it seems to be an appropriate thing to do any time. So, I pulled off the bookcase Merton's "Praying the Psalms". 

The fact is, like Merton most of my praying involves the Psalms and like Merton I use and much prefer and use the Latin Psalter and Office.


Sure enough, Merton has a brilliant summary from Augustine on the Psalms:

I. Prayer must be ordered and intelligent, not primarily emotional.

A. On the other hand, it cannot be clinical or impersonable.

B. Scripture itself is the right model.

II. The point is praising God, "we get to know him better, knowing Him better, loving Him better we find our happiness in Him".

III. "God wants to be loved not in order that He may get something out of it, but that those who love Him may receive an eternal reward." 

IV. This reward is God Himself whom they love. 

A. Not concepts about God but praising Him and loving Him.  

B. Eternal live begins now, when we meditate, think about God in the Psalms for example and everywhere. 


More to come probably. Remember old friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment