Wednesday, March 11, 2020

William D. Paden, An Occitan Prayer against the Plague and Its Tradition in Italy, France and Catalona





There are a number of anti-plague devotions, the most notable of which is saying for three days one or all the Christmas Masses from the Missal. But these following prayers are intended for individuals.

Toulon

“Jesus of Nazareth, look upon the tribulations that have surrounded us on every side, and I beg you with all my heart, contrite and humble and in the spirit of humility, to hear me about this tribulation for which I invoke you and call out to you, Alpha and Omega, Jesus Christ, blessed father of all believers and all creatures, that just as you took on true flesh from blessed Mary, so truly we might receive what we seek from you. Amen”.

Saint-Antonin-Nobel-Val

Lord God, Jesus Christ, merciful redeemer, have mercy on me, a sinner. Lord, you hold me in this tribulation, but you have said, 'I do not want the death of the sinner, but that he convert and live and confess and make amends for all his sins.’ I beg you for mercy, Lord; by the love you have for the Virgin Mary, your blessed mother, and by the merits of the blessed martyrs, Saint Sebastian and all the other martyrs and the virgin Saint Anastasia, save me from this epidemic. Amen."

Tarragona

O Lord Jesus Christ, powerful redeemer, merciful, hear me, a sinner who am intent on this tribulation. O Lord, you said, 'I do not want the death of the sinner, but that he live and confess his sins, and make amends for them,' I call for your mercy, Lord. By the love that you have for the blessed Saint Mary, your mother, and by the merits of the blessed martyrs Saint Sebastian and Saint Anastasia, please deliver me from this plague, which is sudden death, and from this tempest of buboes, tumors, and corruption of blood, so that when you wish to take me from this world, you take me with pleasure and joy to reign with your holy company among the angelic choirs before your divine majesty. Amen."



No comments:

Post a Comment