Thursday, July 2, 2020

St. Augustine: Low Sunday



You said: Unless I touch Him, unless I put my finger in, I shall not believe. Come touch Me. Put in your finger and be not unbelieving but believing. [Jn. 20, 26] I knew your wounds. I have kept My wounds for you. Moreover, putting in his hand certainly confirmed the faith of that disciple. For what is the fullness of faith? That Christ be believed to be not merely Man, that Christ be believed to be not only God, but that He be believed to be both Man and God—that is the fullness of faith because the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us. [Jn. 1, 14]

Therefore, when the wounds and limbs of His Savior had been presented to him to be touched, the disciple touched them and exclaimed: My Lord and My God! [Jn. 20, 28] He touched a Man; he recognized God. He touched flesh; he looked upon the Word, because the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. This Word suffered His flesh to be hung upon a tree; this Word suffered His flesh to be pierced with a lance; this Word suffered His flesh to be placed in a tomb; this Word raised His flesh to life, presented it to the gaze of His disciples, offered it to be touched by their hands. They touch and they cry out: My Lord and my God! This is the Day which the Lord has made! [Ps. 117, 24]

No comments:

Post a Comment