Monday, January 22, 2024

Prayer for Acquiring Humility: St. Therese



Prayer for Acquiring Humility

O Jesus!  When You were a Pilgrim on earth, You said: “Learn of Me for I am gentle and humble of heart and you will find rest for your souls.”  O Mighty Monarch of Heaven, yes, my souls finds rest in seeing You, clothed in the form and nature of a slave, humbling Yourself to wash the feet of Your apostles.  I recall Your words that teach me how to practice humility: “I have given you an example so that you may do what I have done.  The disciple is not greater than the Master… If you understand this, happy are you if you put them into practice.”  Lord, I do understand these words that came from Your gentle and humble heart and I want to practice them with the help of Your grace. …I beg You, my Divine Jesus, to send me a humiliation whenever I try to set myself above others. I know, O my God, that You humble the proud soul but to the one who humbles one’s self You give an eternity of glory.  So I want to put myself in the last rank and to share Your humiliations so as “to have a share with You” in the kingdom of Heaven. But, You know my weakness, Lord.  Every morning I make a resolution to practice humility and in the evening I recognize that I have committed again many faults of pride.  At this I am tempted to become discouraged but I know that discouragement is also pride.  Therefore, O my God, I want to base my hope in You alone.  Since You can do everything, deign to bring to birth in my soul the virtue I desire.  To obtain this grace of Your infinite mercy I will very often repeat: “O Jesus, gentle and humble of heart, make my heart like Yours!”

No comments:

Post a Comment