Thursday, March 28, 2019

Homily by S. Augustine, Bishop: Sermon 115 on the Words of the Lord. Ch. II




THE Pharisee might at least have said, I am not as many men are. What does he mean by other men, except everyone save himself? I, says he, am righteous, the others are sinners. I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers. And lo, he makes the occasion of the publican standing there into a subject for even greater pride, adding, Or even this publican, I, says he, am singular. He is like the rest. I am not, says he, such a man as he is, by reason of my righteous deeds, by means of which I am not unrighteous.

I FAST twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. If you look into his words to find what he is asking of God, you will find nothing. He went up to pray, but instead he praised himself; moreover, he was scornful of the one who was praying.

NOW the publican stood afar off, and yet he was near to God. His conscience kept him away, but his piety brought him near. Now the publican stood afar off, and yet the Lord was nigh at hand. For though the Lord be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: as for the proud, (for such men as the Pharisee,) he beholds them afar off. Though God beholds them, he does not pardon them.

HEAR yet more of publican’s lowliness. more of the It was a comparatively small thing that he stood afar off, and would not lift up his eyes to heaven: that he might be seen, not that he might see; he did not dare to look up: his conscience weighed him down, hope lifted him up. But hear this further thing. He smote upon his breast. He punished himself.  Therefore, the Lord forgave him as he confessed. He smote upon his breast, saying, God, be merciful to me a sinner. Lo, he is the one who prays. Is it surprising that the Lord pardons him, when he acknowledges his fault?

No comments:

Post a Comment