Sunday, August 30, 2020

Back to the Future

I thought that I might need more time to make up my mind, but really for me it is an easy choice: I am returning from the LH back to the Monastic Office. My first reason is that I really prefer the Vulgate Psalter. I do not think that the Neo-Vulgate Psalter is useless but I think that the Vulgate is better. The offices in the LH are simply too short. There are too many hymns in the LH and too many inferior hymns. The collects are a mess, difficult to understand, often theologically skimpy, in many cases ugly and do not reflect the best liturgical traditions of the Roman Church.

I can understand why people are drawn to the LH and if I was ordained and had the obligation of the Office, I could certainly use the LH. But I am under no obligation to use the most recent breviary. (We should remember that the more ancient offices are perfectly legal and approved.) 

Finally, with the traditional Mass and Office under attack, I would want to encourage the use of these rites and the understanding of them.

I will still post materials pertinent to the Novus Ordo and the LH..


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment