Wednesday, August 19, 2020

St. Bernard: Homilies in Praise of the Blessed Virgin IV

 

Bernard of Clairvaux | Saints Resource

I HAVE EXPLAINED the gospel reading as best I can. I am aware that it will not please everyone, and I know that I shall incur the censure of many who are dissatisfied with it, and others will say I have wasted time and been presumptuous in daring to try my hand at explaining a passage which the Fathers have already so fully explained. But as long as what has been said since the Fathers is not contrary to the Fathers, I see no reason why it should displease the Fathers, or anyone else. If I have said what I have learned from the Fathers, as long as the arrogance of presumption does not stifle the fruit of devotion, I will patiently listen to any talk of wasted effort. Those who reproach me with having done something otiose and unnecessary should realize, however, that I did not so much intend to comment on the Gospel as to seize from the Gospel an occasion for speaking about something which it always gives me joy to speak about. If I have really sinned by rousing my own devotion rather than seeking the common good, then the gracious Virgin can make excuses to her merciful Son for my sin. Whatever its worth, I dedicated this little work of mine most devotedly to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment